Medical Malpractice – Dr. Amit Valera, D.O. Liable for 35 Percent for Causing Injuries. Dr. Teena Tandon, M.D. Settles for $1 Million.
Woman with ‘locked-in syndrome’ awarded $47M in malpractice suit.
A woman suffering from “locked-in syndrome” was awarded a $47 million verdict this week in a medical malpractice case, although her lawyer said she will likely only see a fraction of the money.
In a lawsuit filed in 2020, Amy Geiler alleged that doctors at MountainView Hospital and Mountain’s Edge Hospital failed to adequately treat her low sodium levels when she was hospitalized as the result of a fall. Because doctors raised her sodium levels too quickly, Geiler now suffers from Locked-in syndrome — meaning her brain is still functioning, but she cannot move and can only communicate through blinking.
The jury determined that of the three remaining defendants, Valera was 35 percent liable for causing Geiler’s injuries. The other 65 percent of liability was assigned to defendants who had previously settled. That means Valera is the only defendant who will be required to pay any amount from the verdict, said Amy Geiler’s attorney, Sean Claggett. In the same case, previously, Dr. Teena Tandon settled for $1 million for an an alleged failure to recognize critical hyponatremia and failure to stop sodium infusion resulting in severe neurological damage.
As per the Las Vegas Review Journal, the lawsuit originally named 11 defendants, including Nephrologist Dr. Teena Tandon, between the two hospitals and various doctors and nurses. After multiple settlements, which Claggett said were confidential, only three defendants remained during the trial — MountainView Hospital, Dr. Ejo John and Dr. Amit Valera.
The jury determined that of the three remaining defendants, Valera was 35 percent liable for causing Geiler’s injuries. The other 65 percent of liability was assigned to defendants who had previously settled. That means Valera is the only defendant who will be required to pay any amount from the verdict, said Amy Geiler’s attorney, Sean Claggett.
As reported by the Las Vegas Review Journal. For complete news story, please click here…
Dr. Amit Valera, D.O. is a graduate of Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine, KY. Valera completed his medical residency at the Valley Hospital Medical Center, Las Vegas, NV, and a fellowship from Oklahoma State University Medical Center.
Dr. Teena Tandon, M.D. is a graduate of Government Medical College, Chandigarh, India, and completed her medical residency at the University of Nevada School of Medicine (UNSOM), Las Vegas, with a fellowship in Nephrology from Indiana University.
Disclaimer – By providing links to other sites, vegasdesi.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available on these sites.
Why are so many Indian-American doctors dishonest and/or incompetent? It’s the culture.